This is the kind of post that can only be written after spending a weekend playing with makeup.
Over the last couple of days I have been trying to tidy up the stash and in consequence have been slapping an array of creams and shadows on my face. This process led me to conclude a few things:
1) I love makeup and think that I should always buy more. I really shouldn't write that down because I sound like a crazy hoarder but I am just putting it out there to set expectations about future makeup-related purchases :)
2) Tarte's 12 hour blushes really don't last 12 hours.
3) Maybelline gel liner in Blue is everything - especially when applied with a MAC 210.
4) Jouer Matte Moisture Tint does have a place in the world. It's not the most exciting base product I have ever tried but I do have to admit that it gives an uber natural finish that fakes naturally perfect skin. PS. Would not repurchase.
5) MAC Sable will forever be in my life.
6) I hate my blush palettes and wish I had never depotted.
7) NARS eyeshadow primer is good in a smooth-finish kind of way but I probably won't bother repurchasing.
8) Some Bobbi Brown eyeshadows are really not good quality (i.e., the Metallics).
9) Eyeshadows make the best highlighters.
The last point was a bit of a blast from the past.
Years ago I used to swear by this, honing in on pretty light pearl shades (Bourjois Blanc Diaphane being my favourite) to create a glow that gave my face shape.
I think this was before I bought 48948964 face highlighters and so the usage of an eyeshadow was more functional multi-tasking than by choice.
It should be said that this timeframe was also an era where I was probably seen wearing orange foundation, so-nude-it-hurts lips and muddy bronzer. Adding a pretty highlight was probably my saving grace and years later I still think that this is a good move.
Of course the trick is finding the right shade and consistency. It just happens that the colours I like the most end up in the eyeshadow category. Somehow I have convinced myself that the effect is softer and prettier.
I think that after wearing this for a couple of days I have been reminded of two things:
1) Nylon is awesome and
2) Highlighting really is a must.
I need to get into the habit of doing this - especially on really tired days....well to be honest on any day. A bit of a lift and glow is always very welcome.
And that concludes my random makeup ramble :)
Hope you had a great weekend!