Follow my lead and run to Topshop.com right now and get this midi dress. It's half price, supremely flattering, adorned with the prettiest neckline ever and an ideal day/evening transitional item.
You can thank me later!
I first saw this when it was £70 and I slightly scoffed at the price, thinking that it was ambitiously high for a simple midi. Then I saw Marilou had it - who by the way you must follow as she has amazing style - and I decided that I needed to copy suit. The Retail Gods obviously agreed because the day I added this to the basket, Topshop had a sale and £70 became £35. I am usually the mug who paid full price but for once, I get to capitalise on a bargain :)
I wore it today and NO regrets re:purchase. This is an ideal dress for schlepping about during the day but as it's black and fairly classic, you could "dress it up" - add boots/heels/whatever and it will still work.
The neckline, made up of a semi-sheer crochet layer, makes this for me. It's just so feminine. I also like the fact that although midi it doesn't feel frumpy dumpy - it nips in just enough at the waist and keeps a fairly soft silhouette with no dramatic flaring at skirt level.
Oh and one more plus, the zip is concealed so no ugly exposed fastening on the back which as I have mentioned before, is a major pet peeve!
Dress: Topshop - Link!
Bag: Mansur Gavriel - Link!
Sunglasses: Taylor Morris "Invidia" - Link!
Shoes were the only snag here. I wore Miu Miu sneakers but ideally I would have worn chunky sandals….or maybe even black or grey Converse. Ah well. You can't always get it right!
I did get a few other things in my Topshop order - 2 of which were absolute crap and disappointing but one….oh one….the Bardot structured top in the light pink? It's amazing and as soon as I can convince my husband that he wants to take more outfit photos in his free time, I'll share what it looks like on me :)
Before I go, a quick 5 point round up on other things of interest:
1) I booked a mini break to Hong Kong last weekend and I go in a few weeks. Beyond excited! I have zero idea what to do/what to see when I'm there so show me the way if you have any advice.
2) I am also about 3 weeks away from taking part in my first 10K race! I have been training/running a lot as my annoying/boasty Twitter updates will prove. The upside is that I have lost some poundage - the downside is that my hair always looks like crap. You win some, you lose some…
3) I really want to be more experimental with my make up but….sod it. I am in a Double Wear/Laura Mercier powder/Laura Mercier Amethyst shadow stick + MAC Mythology/Eylure 143 lashes rut! I haven't even been remotely tempted to buy anything. What is going on?
4) I'm about to embark on another one of my clear outs. I feel like I am permanently doing this. Does it spark joy? No it bloody doesn't. I'm clearly not ruthless enough in what I choose to bin versus keep during each clear out. I also need to sell a lot of things - Valentino Rockstuds and maybe even the Christian Louboutin So Kate boots that I love…but cannot walk in. Ugh, they will be hard to part with.
5) It's so good to be blogging again! I have been so busy working well…the entire summer. Even when I was on holiday in August I ended up working most evenings. Not. Fun. In theory the workload should ease up for the end of the year and I want to keep it that way if I can. If I have figured anything out this year it's that I need to be more selfish with my time and try and aim for that elusive balance between work and life. It's a bit of a struggle but with a couple of holidays to look forward to in the next 2 months I should be getting back in control again. Bring on Hong Kong and Zanzibar :)